Remote Learning and In-Person School Reopening Updates
Welcome back to our kindergarten explorers! As of January 19th kindergarten is back to in-person learning in the hybrid format! We are so happy to see your smiling faces in the building!
As you know, our state’s governor announced that school districts across the state could start phasing in, in-person learning, starting with our youngest learners. By now, you should have received information by email from the district that describes our plans. If you did not receive an email, you can read about it in the news section of the district website at tacomaschools.org.
In past messages, I have told you about the Family App and all the features it offers. Now that more students will start coming back to school in person, it is more important than ever that you sign up for it if you haven’t already.
You will need the Family App to fill out the health survey every day your child comes to school.
This is a critical step in our safety protocols.
Get to the Family App online at (family.TPSapps.org)
Learning in January
- During the months of September through December, students have continued to adjust to remote learning and some may need further opportunities to complete assignments or have additional instruction to support them in understanding the content or concepts previously taught.
- We now have a new "Breakout Room" feature in our Microsoft Teams platform that enables teachers to work with students more effortlessly and efficiently in small groups.
- You may see your student’s remote classes looking a bit different in January as teachers begin to use this new feature and meet with students in smaller groups.
- Meeting with students in smaller groups will also provide more focused support for students who may need additional time to learn or time to complete assignments.
- Students in kindergarten through second grade will now have computers for the start of the new year and teachers and students may need additional time and instruction to get students accustomed to using a district deployed computer.
New Schoology feature
- In January families will students in remote learning will see another new feature of Schoology called the Parent Digest. Families will receive more information soon about this resource as well as how to customize it to fit their family’s needs. This resource will provide timely information for families about their student’s assignments and grades.